Healthy Smiles Checklist
By teaching your child how to look after their teeth and by setting a good example with your own oral health, you can help your child develop and maintain a healthy attitude to oral health that will serve a lifetime.
- Encourage healthy food choices and limit sugary snacks
- Make sure your child drinks plenty of water and avoids sweetened or fizzy acidic drinks.
- Avoiding sugary snacks and fizzy acidic drinks will help prevent dental decay and dental erosion
- Bring infant child to dentist before 1st birthday and ask about when to introduce fluoride toothpaste.
- Supervise your child brushing at least twice a day with a pea size amount of adult fluoride toothpaste after 2nd birthday.
- Choose a toothbrush with a small head, soft nylon bristles and show your child how to use it.
- Brush teeth and gums for at least two minutes to remove plaque effectively, spit don’t rinse.
- Wait at least 1 hour before brushing after eating meals or snacks to allow teeth to re-harden.
- Replace your childʼs toothbrush every two to three months or more often as needed.
- Have your childʼs teeth checked by the dentist once a year, or as often as the dentist recommends, and remember to find out about school dental screenings for your child.
DeCare Dental Insurance can help you save money on your dental care and protect your oral health. To find out more or get a quote call 094 93 78608 or visit www.decaredental.ie