Mouth Cancer Awareness Day
Wednesday, September 16th 2020.
Facts about Mouth Head and Neck Cancer in Ireland Today
- Over 700 cases of Mouth, Head and Neck Cancer reported in Ireland every year.
- Only half of Mouth Head and Neck Cancers are diagnosed at an early stage.
- The earlier the detection the better the outcome & quality of life.
Places Head and Neck Cancer Effects
The Main Risk Factors
- Smoking and Alcohol (Both Dose Related & Synergistic)
- Chewing tobacco, quid, paan(immigrant communities)
- Diet low in fruit & vegetables increases risk of Mouth Head and Neck Cancer.
- Prolonged exposure to UV light. ( Lips, Skin)
- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) certain strains HPV linked to cancer of tonsil and back of throat
- Exposure to certain chemicals or dusts increases risk of cancer in nasal area.
- Some cancers have genetic link.
Signs and Symptoms
- A sore or an ulcer in the mouth or lips that doesn’t heal.
- Persistent White or Red Patches on the lining of the mouth or on the tongue especially in the floor of the mouth under the tongue.
- Thickening or hardening of the cheek or tongue
- Lump in the mouth and neck (indurated – hard to touch and feel)
- Persistent sore throat, hoarse voice or difficulty speaking
- Difficultly or pain on chewing and swallowing
- Unexplained loose teeth
- Persistent pain in the face and jaw
- Numbness in the tongue and face
- Persistent nose bleeds and blocked or stuffy nose (from sinuses)
Reducing your risk
- Self-Examine Daily.
- Do not smoke and if you do, plan to quit -If you drink alcohol do so in moderation.
- Eat at least 5 portions fruit and Vegetables a day.
- Use a high SPF lip balm in the sun
- Wear mask if you work with chemicals or dusts
- Full Mouth Examination once a year with dentist even if you have no teeth or wear full dentures.
Dental Insurance from the Dental Experts
All of our plans are based on our Healthy Smiles approach, which promotes regular and sustained preventive care by providing 100% cover for examinations, cleanings, and x-rays.
You can then choose to upgrade your cover to Level 2, 3, 4 which provides 70% cover for treatment of fillings, crowns and gum disease, subject to terms and conditions.
To find out more, call 094 937 8608 or visit www.decaredental.ie.